My biggest mistakes:
1) I took Jordan Reed over Kyle Rudolph, and I had Rudolph queued up. I did this because I was distracted and my time on the clock was getting low. I’m going to be wishing this didn’t happen all year long because Rudolph is a big-bodied tight end and Reed is more in the mold of a wide-receiver and not a primary target. He’s also got injury question marks. A ranking system I trust says that Reed is the #15 overall tight-end and Rudolph is #5.
2) I could have taken the top kicker off the board like Matt Prater or Stephen Gostkowski, instead I took a bench guy, not realizing it was totally time to land a top kicker. Everyone got their kicker and I got stuck with Greg the Leg/Legatron.
3) One ranking system had Toby Gerhart pretty high, but everywhere else he’s not a top 20 RB. The system I was looking at when it came down to a tough decision had him as like the 25th overall fantasy player. I don’t think he’s anywhere near that.
4) I probably took Brandin Cooks too early. He might not even work out in the New Orleans offense and he’s a rookie. I reached too far there. Can he be the Saints new Darren Sproles?
What I like:
1) I got Nick Foles. I was scared to death he wouldn’t last until my pick.
2) Dez Bryant is the ‘Alpha-receiver’ on a team that is going to be in a lot of shootouts. I’m happy to have selected him 12th overall in the draft with my first rounder.
3) Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, or Terrance West; one of these guys is going to score a lot more points than anyone is saying they’re going to score right now.
4) I’ll take the Carolina defense any week. They said they were going to try for the all-time sack record. They’ll fall totally short of that, but I like the early season talk of it.